The Government of Canada has some valuable information and tools to help you live a smoke-free life. Check out the health benefits that begin soon after quitting.
- 20 minutes: your blood pressure drops to a level similar to what it was before your last cigarette
- 8 hours: the level of carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) in your blood drops to normal
- 24 hours: your risk of having a heart attack starts to drop
- 2 weeks to 3 months: the airways in your lungs relax and you can get more air into your lungs and breathe easier
- 1 to 9 months: you cough less and your lungs work even better
- 1 year: your added risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a person who smokes
- 5 years: you have the same chance of having a stroke as someone who has never smoked
- 10 years: your chance of dying from cancer is much lower
- 15 years: your risk of coronary heart disease is similar to that of someone who has never smoked
Even those who have developed smoking-related problems like heart disease or cancer can benefit from quitting. Compared to continuing to smoke, people who quit smoking after having a heart attack can reduce their chances of having another heart attack by as much as 50%.
It’s never too late to quit. The most effective smoking cessation treatment is the one that works best for you. Want to be encouraged to start your journey today?! Give Calgary Laserworks a call at 403-301-3730 to discover more about low level laser treatments. You’ll be so glad you did!